Invest in Nova Scotia
Why Nova Scotia, Canada?
Looking to invest or expand in North America? Discover all of the advantages of investing in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Canada’s strong and stable economy, well-educated labour force, sound fiscal position, and effective environmental policies rank the country as a top jurisdiction for foreign direct investment (FDI).
- #1 for starting businesses:
Canada is the easiest place to start a business in the G20, according to the World Bank.
- #1 for educated workforce:
Canada has the most educated talent pool in the OECD.
- #1 for FDI flows:
Canada attracted the most FDI flows per capita in the G7 in 2007-2016, as reported by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
- #1 for market access to Europe:
With the provisional implementation of the Comprehensive and Economic Trade Agreement (CETA), businesses in Canada now enjoy preferential access to a global market with a combined GDP of US$ 41.4 trillion.
Located on Canada's east coast, Nova Scotia offers companies unique operating benefits and advantages. As a result, world-leading companies, such as NTT Data and Mitsubishi UFG, are locating and expanding in Nova Scotia, Canada, and benefitting from:
- Strategic geographic location close to the United States and Europe with world-class infrastructure
- Highly skilled and educated workforce
- Competitive business costs and one of the most generous R&D tax incentives in the industrialized world
- Enviable quality of life featuring public healthcare, clean air, and waterways
- Growing industry sectors including Information Communication Technology, Oceans, Financial Services, and Digital Media among others.
Learn more about why world-leading companies are locating or expanding in Nova Scotia:
Download a copy of the Nova Scotia Factbook.
Extend your reach to key markets
- Save time and money. Access North American and European markets.
- Our strategic location on Canada’s east coast, including modern infrastructure, multi-modal transportation, logistic assets, and global reach attracts investment from around the world.
Low business costs
Competitive business costs contribute positively to your bottom line
- Nova Scotia has a significant advantage over other locations as business costs are typically lower. KPMG ranked Halifax 6th among 108 mature markets in its 2016 International Business Cost Competitiveness Study.
- Additionally, we offer one of the most generous R&D tax incentives in the industrialized world, driving innovative advancements.
Attractive business incentives can help your company excel
- Locate or expand your business in Nova Scotia and take advantage of our generous incentive programs. We have incentives to meet your needs that give your company a financial boost.
Attract workers with the skills you need
- With the highest number of universities per capita, Nova Scotia is Canada’s university capital. You’ll find the talent you need in Nova Scotia, home to one of the world’s most highly educated, skilled and reliable workforces.
An ocean lifestyle
Where people want to live and work
- No matter where you are in Nova Scotia, you are never far from the ocean. The commercial heart of Halifax is on the water and there is no shortage of beautiful beaches and scenic coastal villages.
- Enjoy an affordable cost of living, and excellent recreational and cultural amenities. Learn more about Nova Scotia's quality of life.
Nova Scotia provides competitive advantages for investors and has one of the most diverse economies in Canada with many strong industry sectors including:
Nova Scotia Industry Sectors
Nova Scotia’s oceans industries are diverse and produce innovative products and services in Marine Defence & Security, Marine Transportation, Fisheries & Aquaculture, Energy, and Ocean Science.
Nova Scotia’s thriving seafood companies, fish harvesters and processors export the highest quality fish and shellfish from the North Atlantic worldwide.
Information Communications Technology
Nova Scotia is a leading data analytics hub in Canada, supported by globally competitive companies and world-renowned academic institutions.
Nova Scotia has everything you need to produce a wide range of crops, including forages, fruits, vegetables, and grains.
Nova Scotia benefits from the largest tides in the world, a wealth of minerals and resources, and researchers that are attracting global attention.
Nova Scotia attracts globally recognized companies working in naval defence, aerospace, shipbuilding, sonar and sensing, cyber security, and training and simulation.
Take notice of the financial services industry in Nova Scotia - a strategic nearshore location for middle & back office operations.
Nova Scotia boasts one of the most cost-competitive jurisdictions for video game development in North America and Europe.
Film & Television Production
Make your next film in Nova Scotia. Located on Canada's Atlantic coast, Nova Scotia offers diverse and spectacular locations.
Nova Scotia's clean technology industry attracts considerable international attention, with its expertise in energy monitoring related technologies and access to natural resources.