Business Development Program
Program fiscal year (1 April 2020 – 31 March 2021)
Would your business benefit from the services of a professional consultant?
The Business Development Program offers two streams to support your business growth. Businesses can choose between Stream 1 OR Stream 2, but not both.
Stream 1: This stream supports the acquisition of a private-sector consultant to provide professional expertise to overcome a certain pain point keeping your business from growing.
- The minimum project cost for Stream 1 is $5,000
- Funding provided at 50% up to a maximum of $15,000 per program fiscal year
Stream 2: Focused on senior executives, this stream will help you and your company identify and develop the leadership skills needed to grow. Work with business experts to understand and address how to overcome barriers to successfully scale your company and increase sales.
- Companies must have a minimum of $500,000 in revenue to be eligible for this stream
- The minimum project cost for Stream 2 is $10,000
- Funding is provided at 75% up to a maximum of $30,000 per program fiscal year
- Companies are allowed one project per program fiscal year
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a registered Nova Scotia business
- have a permanent establishment in Nova Scotia
- the majority of its workforce currently residing in Nova Scotia
- engage/plan to engage in commercial activities outside of Nova Scotia \
- have an export plan
Stream 2 applicants must meet the following additional criteria:
- have a minimum of $500,000 CAD in total revenue in their previous fiscal year
Before You Apply
Please read the following documents to ensure you have all the required information available to you when completing the form:
For an application to be considered complete, all the following must be submitted prior to the application deadline:
- Completed and signed Application Form (all questions must be answered)
- Statement of work from the consultant (see Section 6 in Guidelines)
- Proof of consultant’s expertise (see Section 6 in Guidelines)
- If applying for Stream 2, financial statements for the business’ previous complete fiscal year
- If requested, additional financial and company information to assist in the assessment of the business’ financial viability.
Important information about Consultants and Statements of Work
- Selection of the consultant business is at the discretion of the applicant.
- Nova Scotia Business Inc. encourages applicants to engage other Nova Scotia businesses for their project; choosing a consultant from outside Nova Scotia does not preclude a business from the application process.
- The chosen consultant must be at arms’ length from the applicant.
- The statement of work must be prepared by the consultant and must meet the following criteria:
- Detailed description of the work to be performed including timelines and hourly rates or fee structures
- For Canadian consultants: if no GST/HST/PST is included in the cost, it must be noted that costs are either exempt, subject to, or inclusive of GST/HST/PST
- Statements of work are subject to review by NSBI and may be rejected if insufficient project details are provided.
- For a project to be assessed, sufficient information must be provided with the application to validate the consultant and consultant’s expertise. Proof of expertise to be included with the application must consist of:
- Consultant’s biography and/or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Previous work history and/or client references
Nova Scotia Business Inc. reserves the right to contact any consultant business directly
Applications for the Business Development Program must be received by 5:00pm (Atlantic Standard Time) on January 15, 2021.
All projects must be completed, and claims submitted before March 31, 2021.
Online Form Features
During the online application or claim process, you will be asked to review and update the basic company information we have on file. This will ensure we have the most up-to-date information for processing your submissions.
As you complete the forms your responses are saved as a draft. This allows you to step away and resume later. To pick up where you left off, you will be sent an application number via email to access your draft. This feature also allows you to review your responses with your Regional Business Development Advisor prior to submitting.
The following browsers are recommended and supported: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari.
The Government of Nova Scotia’s privacy information practices for websites and online services applies to Nova Scotia Business Incorporated (NSBI). By using NSBI websites and online services, you accept the terms of the NSBI Privacy statement and the privacy statement on the Government website.
If you do not wish to use the internet to provide personal information to NSBI for this online service, you will be able to provide the information in another manner, such as a fillable PDF.
By continuing with your application, you consent to NSBI releasing your contact information to any third-party service providers retained for the purposes of evaluation of the program. This consent is valid whether your application is successful or not. You agree to being contacted by any such third-party service providers and will cooperate with them in the collection of information for evaluation of the program.
You further agree to release NSBI and its staff from any claims, causes of action, suits, actions and liabilities of every nature and kind whatsoever arising from, as a result of or in any way related to the aforementioned authorized release of contact information and subsequent collection and use of information. If you do not consent to the disclosure of your contact information, you cannot participate in this application.
Two-Step Identity Verification
We use two-step verification for our online forms. Each time you apply or submit a claim, you will be asked to:
- Enter your NSBI Customer Number and your associated email address to receive a one-time PIN number
- Enter the one-time PIN number to verify your identity and gain access to the online form
IMPORTANT: If this is your first program with NSBI or you don’t know your NSBI Customer Number, please contact your Regional Business Development Advisor to request this information.
Submit a Claim
Other ways to apply or submit a claim
If you’re unable to use the online form, you can use the PDF Application and Claim Form. Submit your completed application or claim and supporting documents according to the instructions on the form.
The PDF Application and Claim Forms are Adobe Fillable PDF forms. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and complete them. If you do not have the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it for free from Adobe's website.
You must save the file to your computer before completing it. You cannot complete it in a browser window because the information you enter may not save successfully.
Follow these steps:
- Right click on the applicable link below to save the form to your computer. (select "Save Link as" or "Save Target as"). Note where you save it.
- Launch Adobe Acrobat Reader and open the form from the location you saved it.
- Complete the form by entering information in the fillable fields. Be sure to save the form from time to time as you fill it in.
Fill and Sign
If you are using the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can Fill and Sign the form digitally. To do this follow these instructions:
- Click the "Fill & Sign" tool in the right-hand pane in Acrobat Reader (or choose "Tools" > "Fill & Sign" from the menu) You'll be asked to create your signature if one does not exist. You'll notice a "Sign" tool appear in the toolbar at the top of the page.
- When you are ready to sign, click “Sign” in the toolbar at the top of the page. Then draw, type, or choose an image for your signature if one doesn't already exist.
Once completed and signed, please submit your saved PDF file according to the instructions on the form.