The Nova Scotia Export Achievement Awards recognize outstanding contributions that businesses have made to Nova Scotia’s economy through the export of products and services. Companies from across the province will now be recognized via five (5) new award categories for their role in Nova Scotia’s export success.
We are now accepting applications and nominations for the 2018 Nova Scotia Export Achievement Awards, presented by Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI).
Got questions? We've got answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.
1. What are the Nova Scotia Export Achievement Awards (EAA)?
The EAA is an annual awards luncheon, presented by NSBI, in which we recognize companies from across the province, that have achieved extraordinary results in either domestic or international markets or whose exemplary export practices contribute to Nova Scotia’s ability to compete in a global economy.
In 2018, the EAA will recognize businesses in (5) five new award categories:
- New Exporter Champion of the Year (Presented to a business that is new to exporting and has made a successful initial entry into a new market outside of Nova Scotia within the past (2) years.)
- Business of Diversity Champion of the Year (Presented to a business of diversity that has made notable success in growing their business through export within the past (2) years.)
- Canadian Market Champion of the Year (Presented to a business that has made notable success by increasing exports to one or more new markets within Canada over the past (2) years.)
- International Market Champion of the Year (Presented to an exporter who has excelled in international exports (outside of Canada) and made significant contributions to the development of the Nova Scotia economy within the past (2) years.)
- Innovation in Business Champion of the Year (Presented to a business that has demonstrated sustainable growth of export markets through their efforts to adapt their product or service to meet market demand within the past (2) years.)
Two companies, selected from the top three (3) finalists, including the Champion, for each of the five (5) award categories, will be awarded either Exporter of the Year under $5 million or Exporter of the Year over $5 million.
2. What is the base selection criteria for each award category?
Award category applicants and Exporter of the Year nominees are evaluated based on their increase in export sales by dollar value, percentage of total sales, or number of markets served; innovative methods or tactics used to make sales in international markets; positive impact on the province’s overall economy; and the applicant’s or nominee’s local community.
3. Are all Nova Scotia companies eligible to apply for any of the five award categories?
Yes. Any Nova Scotia based company that exports a product or service and meets the criteria for any of the awards is eligible to apply.
4. How can a company apply for an award?
There are two ways in which a company can apply for an award. A company can either be nominated by a third party or they can submit an application form.
5. Is there a limit to how many nominations anyone can submit?
A nominator may submit up to three nominations in total. This can either be nominating three separate companies or nominating a company for up to three award categories. The nominator must complete and submit a separate form for each nomination.
Download the Nomination Form
6. How can a company apply for an award?
Companies must complete and submit an application form to the award category of their choice. There are five application forms, one for each award category.
Download the Application Form
7. Is there a limit to how many award categories a company may apply?
A company may apply for up to three award categories.
8. What is the deadline for nomination submissions?
Nomination applications must be submitted by 5:00pm ADT on Monday, April 23, 2018.
9. What is the deadline for award category application submissions?
Award category applications must be submitted by 5:00pm ADT on Monday, April 30, 2018.
10. How do I apply for the Exporter of the Year awards?
Companies do not apply for the Exporter of the Year awards. The top three (3) finalist’s applications for the five award categories, including the Champion, will be further assessed to determine the Exporter of the Year under $5 million and the Exporter of the Year over $5 million.
11. What is the nomination evaluation process?
Nomination forms will be reviewed to ensure they meet the eligibility criteria of the selected award category. Once the nomination has been deemed eligible, one of NSBI’s Regional Business Development Advisors will reach out to the nominated company and guide them through the application process.
12. What is the award evaluation process?
A committee of adjudicators, made up of export experts, will review and evaluate the applications for each of the five (5) award categories. Scores will be compiled from each adjudicator to select a winner in each award category. The company with the highest score for each award category will be deemed the Champion.
The top three finalists, including the Champion, of each of the five (5) award categories, will be the nominees for the two (2) Exporter of the Year awards. The applications for the top three finalists will be further assessed to determine the Exporters of the Year. The companies with the highest scores in either the under or over $5 million in export sales will be awarded Exporter of the Year under $5 million and the Exporter of the Year over $5 million.
13. How do I submit a Nomination or Application Form?
- Application Forms must be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nomination Forms must be submitted to: email@example.com
14. How will winners be notified?
The winners for each of the five (5) award categories and the two Exporter of the Year awards will be announced at the Nova Export Achievement Awards on Tuesday, June 12, 2018.
15. Will the top three (3) finalists nominated for each award category be notified?
Yes. NSBI will announce publicly the top three (3) finalists nominated for each award category in advance of the Nova Export Achievement Awards on Tuesday, June 12, 2018.
16. What information will be publicly released if you are a top three (3) finalist or an EAA winner?
Information collected in connection with the EAA is subject to, and will be treated in accordance with, the Nova Scotia Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Applicants and nominated businesses must consent to:
- Participate in any public announcement or public ceremony related to the EAA at a mutually agreeable time; and
- The release of information (business name, business contact name, sector, region, and type or types of awards received) to the media and general public.
For more information about the application or nomination process, please contact the Regional Business Development Advisor in your region.