People Services Assistant
Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI) - led by a private sector Board of Directors, NSBI is a business development agency for the Province of Nova Scotia.
To strengthen and grow the Nova Scotia economy, NSBI’s mission is to attract global investment to Nova Scotia, and to help Nova Scotia businesses across the province grow through access to business advisory services, skill development and training, market intelligence, financing and support in accessing global markets.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Services & Compliance, the People Services Assistant contributes to the accomplishments of the Human Resources practices and objectives that provide an employee-oriented, high-performance culture that emphasizes quality, productivity and ongoing development of a superior workforce. Responsible for assisting with the implementation of services, policies and programs owned by People Services, the People Services Assistant is the first point of contact for HR-related inquiries and provides advisement on programs, processes, benefits and payroll inquires. Utilizing a high degree of confidentiality, professionalism and advisory skills, this role is responsible to field first-instance labour relations issues escalating to the People Services Generalist for resolution.
In this role, the successful candidate will:
- Act as first point of contact for employee inquiries including pay and benefits, the collective agreement, training and development, HR policies and processes, and health and wellness.
- Respond to employee inquiries related to pay and benefits, liaising with the Province (Department of Internal Services Payroll Client Relations, Public Service Commission, Nova Scotia Pension Services) as well as internal business units to collect, analyze, and maintain employee information in SAP regarding compensation, benefits, leaves and changes in employment status.
- Ensure the processing and completion of documentation of events through the employee lifecycle, e.g., new hires, reclassifications, leaves of absences, benefit changes, terminations, and retirements. This includes preparing and validating source documentation and letters and verifying back-up records and all employee and payroll files are reconciled and complete.
- Using best human resources practices and in conjunction with the People Services Generalist, participate in the recruitment process by assisting with the creation of job postings, printing resumes, coordinating interview logistics, conducting reference checks, preparing letters of offer and requesting background checks.
- Liaise with post-secondary institutions to post co-op work term opportunities, schedule interviews and recruitment follow up with university co-op offices;
- Support compensation programs including salary administration analytics, administering changes in SAP Organizational Management, preparing documentation for salary and pay adjustments, and vacation and leave balances.
- Champion employee engagement by administering the NSBI service award program;
- Provide administrative support for NSBI’s online performance management platform;
- Assist the People Services Generalist in planning and coordinating special projects such as wellness programs, group training and development initiatives;
- Utilizing SAP, create various reports for analysis and audit purposes;
- Reception coverage as scheduled; and
- Other duties, as required.
To be considered as a potential candidate, you possess a diploma in HR/Business/Office Administration and have at least two years of related experience in a client-focused Human Resources division. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. You have acquired knowledge of human resource practices and applicable legislation and have experience in recruitment/selection, onboarding/orientation, compensation and salary administration. Experience working with SAP and/or collective agreements is an asset. You can easily alternate between advisory and administrative support functions and are resourceful and research oriented. Highly proficient computer skills are required for this role. You own excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and can manage multiple priorities with critical timelines. With an attention to detail and strong organizational skills, you are able to work well both independently and within a team environment.