Office Manager & Board Liaison
NSBI is a business development agency for the Province of Nova Scotia, led by a private-sector board of directors.
To strengthen and grow the Nova Scotia economy, NSBI’s primary efforts are focused on helping Nova Scotia businesses grow exports through access to business advisory services, skills development and training, market intelligence, access to financing, support in accessing global markets, and by attracting innovative, globally competitive companies to establish a business location in Nova Scotia.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Services & Compliance, the Office Manager & Board Liaison supports the NSBI Board of Directors’ relations and assists with the functional operations of the office and physical premises of NSBI. This role is responsible for coordination of all NSBI Board relations and communications involving the Board, including the distribution of briefing material for all board and committee meetings. The Office Manager & Board Liaison also manages the functional operations including consumables and maintenance of premises-related activities including leaseholds, furniture, equipment, and security. Following internal policies and guidelines, the Office Manager & Board Liaison assists with the procurement of NSBI’s standing offers and acts as the main point of contact with the corporate travel provider and procurement of the service. This role leads the Receptionist through best management practices and ensures smooth daily operation of the reception desk.
In this role, the successful candidate will:
- Following an agreed upon schedule, ensure briefing material for all board and committee meetings is received and uploaded to the board portal before the meeting to allow sufficient time for review by the directors.
- Working with the Corporate Secretary, contribute to running productive board and committee meetings by creating meeting agendas and distributing to the President & CEO and Board Chair/Committee Chair in advance of the meeting for final approval before posting.
- Maintain outstanding business arising lists for action by Executive Management/Board Chair/Committee Chairs/Corporate Secretary by reviewing all board and committee minutes for action items, assigning responsibility, and follow-up to ensure updated business arising comments/actions are ready for a subsequent board or committee meeting as appropriate.
- Manage, within an approved limit, the expenses for the board cost center.
- Maintain communication between NSBI Executive Management team and the Board of Directors by coordinating incoming and outgoing communications to the board and its committees.
- Ensure effective operations of the NSBI office and physical premises by arranging:
- Maintenance and repairs to furniture and equipment, and premises;
- Purchase and/or leasing of new furniture and office equipment as required, and coordinate the delivery of these goods within the office;
- Coordinate employee office moves; and
- Arrange for return or storage of surplus furniture.
- Purchase consumables in a cost-effective manner.
- Manage the full scope of the security access card system.
- Maintain the relationship with the landlord for any premises-related issues.
- Assist in the public tender process for the NSBI Standing Offer.
- Maintain the relationship with the corporate travel provider to manage the account.
- Assist with annual budget preparation and expense management related to NSBI premises.
- Coordinate offsite records storage and retrieval.
- Ensure effective operations of the reception function including management of the Receptionist position.
- Other duties as required encompassing NSBI Board relations, and office and premises management.
To be considered as a potential candidate, you should have a post-secondary diploma in Administration and at least five years’ experience in a related role. You possess the ability to positively influence others to gain acceptance and support for ideas, timelines, projects and solutions as it relates to the acquisition and delivery of materials required for board and committee meetings. You are able to demonstrate high quality customer service to internal and external clients. Your background has provided you with an understanding of the detail required for the administration of a board portal. You demonstrate credibility, reliability and trustworthiness and have a proactive approach to projects and daily tasks. Able to work well under stress and meet critical deadlines, you possess a superior ability to understand and manage multiple tasks. You are proficient with the Microsoft suite of products. Familiarity with Visio, Kantech keyless entry software and Dilitrust Exec board portal software would be considered an asset.
NSBI’s professional team is as innovative and energetic as the clients we serve. If you have what it takes to join our team, we would like to hear from you.