Business Development Advisor
NSBI is a business development agency for the Province of Nova Scotia, led by a private sector board of directors.
To strengthen and grow the Nova Scotia economy, NSBI’s primary efforts are focused on helping Nova Scotia businesses grow exports through access to business advisory services, skills development and training, market intelligence, access to financing, support in accessing global markets, and by attracting innovative, globally competitive companies to establish a business location in Nova Scotia.
NSBI is seeking an exceptional individual with a passion for assisting in the growth and success of business in Nova Scotia. Reporting to the Director, Regional Business Development, the Business Development Advisor (BDA) provides a variety of business support to both new and established Nova Scotia companies, assessing growth potential and supporting business needs for realizing this potential. This role works closely with principals of companies analyzing business plans and associated financials, providing advisement on investment readiness and assisting with customizing growth and export opportunities through available partnerships and resources. The BDA is also responsible to establish and maintain relationships with partners, universities, and government that participate in export and economic growth discussions to ensure they are up to date with relevant program and industry information. This BDA role services clients in Halifax County and travel is required within the Halifax region.
The Business Development Advisor is responsible for:
- Working with clients from start-to-finish, aligning client needs to available programs and funding sources;
- Proactively engaging and advising companies about funding products and business programs available to assist their business stability and/or growth;
- Counselling and guiding clients through complex business processes;
- Reviewing and providing advice to clients on business plans, management, finance, marketing, innovation, production export, and investment readiness;
- Providing creative solutions and identifying opportunities for growth strategies, job creation/retention, accessing new capital, reaching new markets, governance and regulatory obligations;
- Developing ‘outside the box’ strategic initiatives for clients and assuming a leadership role in bringing stakeholders together who can ultimately assist client companies;
- Actively engaging with companies’ senior management to find customized growth opportunities and/or solutions to problems which may be limiting or hindering a company’s growth potential;
- Participating in discussion with business organizations and local area groups, as needed, to identify common goals and to capitalize on shared objectives;
- Developing and determining work plans that prioritize work in alignment with client goals and NSBI business goals for success;
- Continuously evolving a repository of business contacts and actively engaging partners, stakeholders or other professionals who are available to assist clients; and
- Participating, leading and managing various working groups for projects.
As the successful candidate, you possess a post-secondary education in a business-related field and have at least five years’ experience within a business advisory role. You maintain a valid Nova Scotia driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle for business travel purposes, both of which are a condition of employment.
You are a strong communicator and excel at building and maintaining excellent working relationships with a multitude of stakeholders both internal and external to NSBI. You pride yourself on being a client-focused professional with impeccable business acumen and can counsel clients on a wide variety of business issues. Your successful track record generating solutions is garnered by analyzing the situation and identifying key opportunities for improvement. Knowledgeable on current financial trends and how it relates to business in Nova Scotia, you can proactively take initiative and remain flexible to client needs while delivering on NSBI’s mandate. You are able to work additional hours periodically on evenings and weekends as necessary.
Classification: This is a bargaining unit position with a NSBI 7 rate of pay: $72,444.58 - $86,786.70. Preference will be given to qualified NSBI NSGEU bargaining unit candidates.