HALIFAX -- A commercial lawyer from the Strait area and an investment banking executive from Halifax have been appointed to the board of Nova Scotia Business Inc., effective November 1, 2003.
Lawrence K. (Larry) Evans, Q.C, is a partner with the law firm Evans, MacIsaac, MacMillan of Port Hawkesbury and has significant commercial experience as well as an in-depth understanding of the Strait Area. Doug Hall is Managing Director of RBC Dominion Securities and possesses extensive commercial and investment banking expertise.
Three existing board members: Dr. Sheila Brown, President and Vice-Chancellor, Mount Saint Vincent University, Bedford; Maurice Guitton, President, EADS Composites Atlantic Ltd., Lunenburg; and Alastair MacLeod, Past President, Sydney and Area Chamber of Commerce, have been renewed for another term.
Tom Stanfield, Chair of the Board of Directors of NSBI, welcomed Mr. Evans and Mr. Hall to the board and praised their abilities. I am quite pleased that we have been able to attract such high-calibre business advisors to our board and look forward to working with them, said Mr. Stanfield. Their addition to our Board also enhances the diversity of experience and competencies among our members and broadens our geographic representation.
Four Board vacancies were set to expire November 1, 2003: Dr. Brown, Mr. Guitton, and Mr. MacLeod decided to stand for renewal while Mr. Boulter, President of ECI Medical Technologies in Bridgewater, decided not to stand for renewal. A fifth vacancy was created when John Risley, President of Clearwater Fine Foods, stepped down from the Board due to time restraints.
On behalf of the board, I would like to thank Mr. Risley and Mr. Boulter for their contributions and wish them well in their future business endeavors, said Mr. Stanfield. Their business acumen and leadership has been greatly appreciated.
NSBI undertook the recruitment process for potential Board candidates in Spring 2003. Under NSBI's legislation, the Board of Directors recommends candidates for appointment or re-appointment to the Minister of Economic Development.
As of November 1, members of the Board of Directors of Nova Scotia Business Inc. will be:
- F. Thomas Stanfield, President, Stanfield's Limited, Truro (Chairman of the Board)
- Sheila A. Brown, President and Vice-Chancellor, Mount Saint Vincent University, Bedford
- Larry Evans, Q.C., Partner, Evans, MacIsaac, MacMillan, Port Hawkesbury
- James W. Gogan, Former President and CEO, Empire Co. Ltd., Stellarton
- Maurice M. Guitton, President, EADS Composites Atlantic Ltd., Lunenburg
- Doug Hall, Managing Director, RBC Dominion Securities, Halifax
- Paul Kent, Senior Vice-President, Aliant & COO, xwave, Halifax
- Larry LeBlanc, Senior Vice-President, East Coast Region, EnCana Corp., Halifax
- Bob MacKay, CEO, Nova Scotia Office of Economic Development, Halifax
- Alastair E. MacLeod, Past President, Sydney and Area Chamber of Commerce
- Thomas A. Rose, Chair and CEO, TAR Investments Ltd., Halifax (Vice-Chair of the Board)
- James A. Sapp, President, J.A.S. Investments Limited, Liverpool
- Grace S. White, President and CEO, CanJam Trading Ltd., Dartmouth
Nova Scotia Business Inc. is the province's business development agency, an organization that works with companies to provide business solutions. The private sector- led agency works to attract new business to the province and help those already in Nova Scotia expand through services such as export development and financing.