Frito Lay Canada invests in Quality, Environmental Sustainability in New Minas

Aug 9, 2010
Frito Lay LogoRecognized for its product quality and environmentally sustainable manufacturing practices, Frito Lay Canada, a division of PepsiCo Canada ULC, is investing more than $2 million in its New Minas operations to upgrade production equipment and make the facility more environmentally sustainable.

Frito Lay Canada's New Minas facility is a major employer in the region with approximately 140 full-time and hourly employees. The province, through Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI), is supporting the company and its upgrades with a five-year payroll rebate of up to $500,000.

Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations Minister Ramona Jennex, on behalf of Economic and Rural Development Minister Percy Paris, made the announcement today, Aug. 9, along with Pat Ryan, vice president and chief operating officer of NSBI.
"Frito Lay Canada's New Minas plant is an example of the positive investments companies are making on the ground here in Nova Scotia," said Ms. Jennex. "As part of government's ongoing focus on supporting good jobs and growing the economy, we're proud to be a partner with Frito Lay Canada's focus on quality and sustainability."

Frito Lay New Minas was recently recognized as the first Canadian facility to send less than one per cent of its waste to landfills. This latest investment in the Nova Scotia operation will further support the plant's environmental journey by reducing energy and water consumption during manufacturing processes, while boosting efficiency and maintaining high-quality product standards.

"This investment is good news for the plant. We will use it to upgrade our equipment to ensure we're delivering the highest-quality products that are manufactured in an environmentally sustainable facility," said Anne-Marie Renaud, vice-president of operations for Frito Lay Canada. "We're proud of our long history in Nova Scotia and thank the province for its support."

Nova Scotia is home to one of Frito Lay Canada's six manufacturing facilities.

The New Minas plant manufactures a number of Frito Lay Canada products for retail and foodservice customers in Eastern Canada including Lay's and Ruffles potato chips.

"NSBI works proactively with companies such as Frito Lay Canada that are committed to producing high-quality products right here in Nova Scotia," said Pat Ryan, vice-president and COO of NSBI. "With over 50 years in the province, this investment reaffirms the company's commitment to local growth."

Frito Lay Canada is committed to supporting local farmers. Approximately 30 per cent of the New Minas plant's supply of potatoes is from the community, and the remaining 70 per cent is shipped from Prince Edward Island.

Nova Scotia Business Inc. is Nova Scotia's private-sector-led business development agency. NSBI helps Nova Scotia companies meet their growth potential through advisory services, trade development, financing and venture capital. NSBI attracts leading companies and foreign direct investment to the province, fuelling job creation and economic growth. For more information, visit www.nsbi.ca and join the conversation at www.nsbi.ca/connect.

Frito Lay Canada is a member of the PepsiCo, Inc. family of companies and is Canada's largest snack food company.

PepsiCo's businesses in Canada are organized into two business units. PepsiCo Foods Canada includes Frito Lay Canada and the Quaker Foods and Snacks business. PepsiCo Beverages Canada includes Pepsi-Cola Canada, Gatorade and Tropicana. For more information, visit www.pepsico.ca .

PepsiCo offers the world's largest portfolio of billion-dollar food and beverage brands, including 19 different product lines that each generates more than $1 billion in annual retail sales. Our main businesses, Frito-Lay, Quaker, Pepsi-Cola, Tropicana and Gatorade, also make hundreds of other nourishing, tasty foods and drinks that bring joy to our consumers in more than 200 countries. With annualized revenues of nearly $60 billion, PepsiCo's people are united by our unique commitment to sustainable growth, called Performance with Purpose. By dedicating ourselves to offering a broad array of choices for healthy, convenient and fun nourishment, reducing our environmental impact, and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace culture, PepsiCo balances strong financial returns with giving back to our communities worldwide. For more information, visit www.pepsico.ca.

Media Contact:

Lisa Bond
Nova Scotia Business Inc.
902-402-9490
E-mail: nsbi.ca